Saturday, October 06, 2012

My first music lesson

I've always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument of some sort since I was young. I've always admired those who could play one, they look so effortless and easy. I am always convinced that I am tone deaf coz I could never memorise notes or knew where to place my fingers.

I wished I had picked it up very early in my life but my parents never had the means to enrol me in a class and music was definitely very low or even non existent in their priority list.. which I totally understand.

Some people don't have to attend any official music lessons and they just self taught themselves. They just pick up an instrument and learn on their own. I find this amazing. I'm definitely not capable of that when it comes to music. I wish I could though.

I used to also daydream about performing on stage, with a cool band and I play the guitar and sing. Haha. So funny. Of coz, that didn't happen.

Now 34 years later, I sat in my first Yamaha music lesson learning the solfege on the electone with my son! I think I was more excited than he was! So there i was in a junior electone class for 7 year olds, all wide eyed and eager to learn! I knew as much as the 7 year olds or even lesser perhaps. Everything was new to me. Yes that was how little I knew about music but oh well, my policy is its never too old to learn anything and there's no shame in admitting how lil you know.

I had a good time and I hope irfan did too. I can already see that it's just going to get tougher coz one needs total focus and concentration to coordinate what we hear and then move our fingers to play. It also requires irfan to listen attentively to the tune, to focus on his fingering and to keep practicing to get better. Irfan is still getting used to the feel of the keyboard, the reading of the notes and so am I!

We were told to practice at home. I'm afraid i can't really guide him much coz I am learning as well and I probably teach him the wrong stuff. Haha.

I hope through the lessons, he not only
learn to play the electone but also to develop better concentration, coordination and perseverance to practice and practice which he can apply in everything else in his life. For me, I always think its character before content.

I just hope I don't kill his interest by turning this into a "must practice", "must do well" thing which I'm already doing with his school work. So I really need to relax and let him enjoy the music. The tests are optional anyway. That's also one of the reasons we didn't put him in an intensive piano lesson. This class is supposed to be a fun thing for him.

But for me, I will practice for sure. Heh I can be kiasu that way. And I know when it comes to music, I am not smart enough to learn it once so I need the practice. Right now I'm practicing more than him. Haha.

But that will probably change when work starts for me. We'll see:)

Till later, have a wonderful week everyone.

I hope I will!:):)

No comments: