Saturday, August 04, 2012

Nur x 3

So, 2 weeks have passed since the birth of Nur Shahid Alim. How are we coping with 3 kids, my parents and without a helper? Well it hasn't been easy. I'll probably save the bit on juggling domestic chores for another day.

How have the kids been coping with lil Shahid around? For Irfan, this is not a totally new experience. Surprisingly, with my hands full, he's getting to be more independent and does his usual routine without me breathing down his neck. Random checks on his schoolwork seems to show that he is doing well in school, his tests and daily work. Honestly I haven't been coaching him much of late. I was very surprised when he started bathing without being asked, cleaned up his bed everyday and packed his bag on his own accord, checking and completing his homework independently after the birth of Shahid. He has also been easy to wake for sahur n Alhamdullilah has been fasting patiently since Day 1. I guess sometimes letting go might just do the trick for him to be more independent.

As for Alisha, well, as much as she loves her lil brother, she is finding it a lil harder, which is totally understandable for a 3 yr old. She has been rather whiny, throwing tantrums here and there, asking to be carried and will easily burst into tears when scolded.

She has been rather patient when I say I have to feed her lil bro first before attending to her. She has been such a sweetie, kissing her lil brother, singing to him all the songs she knows during his awake moments. She loves playing with him, talking to him and "reading" books to him.

But I know she feels different. She is still coping with the fact that at times she will get lesser attention than previously because I have to attend to the baby. I do feel bad for her when she wants something for example when she has a book in her hand and wants me to read to her and i have to tell her to wait coz im nursing Shahid. She doesnt kick up a fuss but i feel bad when i see her sitting alone at some corner and "reading" the book on her own while waiting for me. Once, she fell asleep. And I just felt so bad about it.

Her way of coping is manifested at other times when she whines and asks for the impossible at times. From her perspective I can imagine how it must feel. So we try to spend as much time with her as possible but at the same time signaling to her that whining and tantrums are not the right way to get our attention.

She still has her moments but I hope it will get better with time. So my hands are basically full now with Shahid and Alisha. Although Irfan is a bit off my radar now, but I still have to check on him at times to ensure he's keeping up the good work.

Alhamdullilah, I'm healing well and have the energy to take care of them. Although today I feel like I need a short break to go for a short getaway, away from the daily routine. It's the weekends, I'm feeling so much better and yet I'm still at home. Today I feel like I need a distraction and fresh air.
But I guess that will have to wait for another 2 weeks or so.

No comments: