Friday, March 16, 2012

Tech talk

You know your kids are from a different era when you hear their conversation going something like this:

(irfan watching alvin and the chipmunks on alims phone and Alisha holding on to my phone at club med cherating recently. We were waiting to check in)

Alisha: I want to watch movie too! But I cannot go you tube!

Irfan: no wi-fi here.

Alisha: no wi-fi, how u go you tube?

Irfan: I already download the movie in the phone.

Alisha: you download at home?

Irfan ignored her and continued watching Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Alisha: ibu, can download movie for me when we go home?

Ibu:ok

Alisha: I'm playing Barney game now. No need wi-fi. But must wait. It's loading.

It's so easy for kids these days to make sense of words like wi-fi, download, loading... I don't think they know what the words really mean but they seem to know enough to use it properly and seem to grasp its functions without a need for a thorough explanation.

Curious to know, I act blur and ask them what these words mean. They answered in bits and pieces, totally disinterested in my questions and pretty much ignoring me most of the time. Basically here's what I could make out from whatever little they said, "wi-fi" is just something we need to get to you tube or Internet when we are out of the house, "download" means getting the movie or game from somewhere into the phone and "loading" is when u wait for the game or movie to start.

Hmm i must say that's as my much as I probably know too! Anyway, pics and stories of club med coming up soon! Before that I have a paper to set, lessons to plan and I promised the kids Disney on Ice tonight and Barney show tomorrow afternoon! I hv no idea how I'm going to complete so many things with just the weekend left. But of course, this is nothing new. Cramming everything to the very last minute and then complaining about the ton of work has been going on and on like a broken record, so I know I'll survive!

Till later, I'm taking a short nap while waiting for alim to come back from prayers. Yawwwnnnnn....

Meanwhile here's one pic of irfan I took from my phone ( hes in yellow, blue stripes) dancing away at club med. u should really see him go, I'm shocked too. we, the old foggies, could not even move a beat and just plonked ourselves on a comfy sofa, with nice, cool drinks, wondering if we had exposed our little 7 year old to too much fun for one night, an introduction to a lifestyle we will definitely disapprove off when he turns 17.

I would have preferred him dancing to Barney for the rest of his life, but that would be impossible (and weird) of course.

Alisha was a little overwhelmed but mostly, she was sleepy coz it was past her bedtime. She wasn't interested coz it wasn't Barney and she couldn't care less about whatever music that was playing.

Oh by the way, this isn't a bar or anything like that, heh, we can be rather irresponsible parents at times but this time, we didn't smuggle underaged kids to a room full of smoke n loud music. This is just an open area by the pool where they have different kind of activities after dinner every night. There were kids, adults and even nyonyas and apeks moving their bons bons away. And I was just a little surprised that irfan joined in too, with much enthusiasm no less.

Ok more later. Very sleepy!

No comments: