Friday, March 23, 2012

Update on the P1 boy

So term 2 has begun. And im happy to report that things are more settled with the P1 boy. I'm not a maniac anymore when it comes to spelling and homework.

My saviour was a simple solution. A timetable plastered on the fridge for him to follow was all it took for me to reduce my incessant nagging which I was also getting sick of.

All he had to do was check the clock and follow his timetable. Once in a while I still have to remind him of what needs to be done. But I hope to see less of my intervention next term. A step at a time:)

He doesn't cry anymore when he learns his spelling and my voice has not reached an alarming decibel. It has developed into a routine. Before he learns his spelling, he will ask me to test him to see which words he already knows and which he needs to learn. After which, he will write the words which he needs to learn 5 times. Then I will test him again. So most of the time he will be busy writing and learning on his own while I can shake leg or do my own stuff. He doesn't cry anymore if he gets the word wrong when I test him because by now he knows that getting it wrong only means he has to take more time to memorise the words and he will do better next time. Super improvement!

For me, it's not so much about getting full marks for spelling. My main concern is to get him to be serious and focused on tasks given to him.

Different kids are different. With him, it's quite a feat to get him to be more independent and to be disciplined in getting things done. He will only move when I ask him to. So Im slowly trying to put the responsibility on him. I'm still trying to get him to be more on task and to take the initiative to do things well, on his own accord.

If there's anything I've learnt from my teaching profession, it will be the realization that the correct attitude is key to everything. Sure, kids who are smart with poor attitude sometimes do well in exams, but doing well in exams does not decide your future.

The journey is long and anything can change between your PSLE results and your first job. And then from your first job to your mid adult life. So doing well in exams, while can be important, should not be the main consuming focus for a child.

To be disciplined and to have a driving force to give your best in everything are key two things. It doesn't come naturally to Irfan for now and so I have to play my part to help him develop these values.

I've not reached that stage yet. Im still trying. will work something out and update:)

Honestly, raising a child is a pretty fascinating experience for me. I complain but I love it to bits. It's like a lifelong project. I have no clue what I am doing but I learn along the way, experimenting with different strategies and observing the outcomes.

Someone experienced told me the other day that 2 crucial factors that can help a child develop the right attitude is having good role models and a parent's sincere doa for the child.

I think I might just agree with that. How about you?:)

No comments: