Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Alisha@ 22 months

Ok so here's part 3 and 4 of the video. If you have not seen 1 and 2, just scroll down and you will see it.

To be honest, I was quite surprised by the things Alisha says especially "Ayah sepak" and "call police" part. These are not words alim and I commonly used and Alim has never laid a finger on that lil girl, in fact he is such a softie when it comes to this lil girl.

After some observation and investigation, apparently when she gets naughty at home, which is pretty often, my dear parents will threaten her by saying things like , "Nanti call police, or ayah balik and sepak alisha (sepak as in slap not kick..hehe...but still a pretty harsh word by my standards)...oh well, although I disagree with this style of parenting but I do know that any attempt to correct my parents will be threading on very dangerous grounds...that might just crack the already so fragile bubble of peace and harmony in the home.

So what do I do? Do the best I can when I am with the kids, and pray hard my parents notice that the way we handle the kids are pretty different from them. Not to say Im an expert in parenting and my parents are not, after all they brought me up and although I have some bad habits, I can safely say I didnt turn out that bad after all. But it's common to have differing views when it comes to raising a child, especially between parents and grandparents. And it's even more common to hear about stories of how arguments between a couple and their parents who are living under one roof came about due to differing views on child rearing.

So I rather not go there. And if I do try to being my point across, I have to be really careful with my words..sometimes my points get across, sometimes feelings are hurt. So I have learnt to be very cautious when it comes to such things.

Well, that is part and parcel of living under the same roof as our parents. But not everything is dark and gloomy of course..I can think of a million and one other reasons why I am so grateful to have my parents around with me and I cant imagine living without them. But it comes with a set of challenges that sometimes doesnt get better with time.

Alamak, I have diverted so much, all I wanted to do in this post was actually to put up the video and I almost forgot all about it!

Here goes.....bring the volume up:)





And the Phoneme Flip Stand which Alisha was fiddling with, was from Alim's mum. I really have to start using all the resources she has given the kids; that, the flashcards, story books...wonderful resources they all are but this "wonderful" parent has just got to make it happen.

No comments: